Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Diana Pitts 4


Team Powerhouse
After entering a couple of figure competitions and receiving judges comments,

 I was aware of areas I needed to improve on to better my chances for success at the next show.  

I sought out Debbie last year to help me with my weak points and prepare me for my show in March 2012.  Little did I know all the benefits that would come with becoming a part of Team Powerhouse.  As I stated in a previous blog entry, my orientation by Debbie was key to correcting my posture.  Improper posture was the primary root of many of my problems.  I routinely do stretching, foam rolling and corrective exercises every day. 


In early February, Debbie began weekly posing sessions on Saturday afternoons.  At first, there were just a few of us, but soon the class grew to be a nice core group.  Competitors ranged in all levels of experience and stages of competition preparation - both amateurs and pros.  We all had a common goal, and appreciated each others struggles and success.  There was a definite sense of support among the team members. 



Posing Class




Whenever we meet, the class starts with a lineup leading into quarter turns.  Each competitor is individually evaluated by Debbie.  Debbie then takes progress pictures of us to help us keep track of all the changes we have from week to week.  This is so valuable, especially with the back posing.  I was reluctant to having my picture taken at first, but as time when by, I was pleased to see the changes from week to week as my show date approached.  

After completing our quarter turns, we would then line up on one side of the room, creating somewhat of an audience for each competitor to perform their T-walk practice in front of.  All the competitors are invited to have open discussions about each competitor's T-walk.  This was a great way to point out areas that needed improvement, but at the same time, acknowledging areas that have already improved.  There is a understanding that any comments made during and after each competitor's T-walk practice are ultimately made to help promote each person's best possible stage
performance.  It's very rewarding to see the more 
experienced competitors mentor the first time competitors.  

I wish I had the opportunity to have a team like this for support when I was first starting out.  

Having attended posing classes in the past, I can truly appreciate how this group takes it to another level with the team atmosphere and I am proud to be a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment