Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Amber McCourtney


“Where are you going when you leave here!?”
“Powerhouse”
“Who are you going to ask for.”
“Debbie.”
“You better.. I’m serious”
“Okay, Okay.”

My friend had been drilling me all morning about needing to stop in. “Just go meet her; you need to be around other girls in the sport.” He was right but I was nervous. I had never been to Powerhouse. I didn’t know who Debbie was. I hadn’t even had time to Google her! I was only told that she was good and her girls were awesome. What does that even mean? I thought to myself. 

I had never been to a trainer before and only recently had I become firm in my decision to train with the goal of competing. 

I had no idea that before the day was over my entire life would slowly begin to change. After getting a good workout in and finally meeting Debbie for the first time I decided to sit in on a posing class. All of the girls Debbie included were SO nice . She has a way of setting you at ease and fueling your fire all at once.  

A few days and a few emails later and it was all set up; my first session. I wasn’t sure what to expect. My entire regimen to this point had been heavy lifting on a 4 day split and cardio on my off days. My diet wasn’t too terrible but I had / have so much to learn. We didn’t even touch a weight for my first two sessions. I was surprised. We started with my nutrition. I hadn’t realized where I was making mistakes; common misconceptions and lack of education had led me to a common impersonalized copy and paste kind of diet. Once that was adjusted the bloat literally fell off. 

Within the first week I started seeing results so when we covered stretching and foam rolling during session two I didn't even question it.

I’m already a changed woman and this journey is just beginning. The results are visible and I feel better than I ever have not just physically but mentally as well. I like lifting with the guys but having a team of women who all understand where I am and what I’m going through is a huge relief and Debbie is so uplifting. 

I feel now that with all my hard work and dedication I can achieve any goal no matter how great. October’s Gateway Naturals seems to be a fantastic place to start and with the help of Debbie, Roger and the Powerhouse team I have full confidence in myself. I WILL be the best me I can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment