Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Diana Pitts 3




I wasn't too sure what to expect with my first leg training session with Debbie.  I prepped for the training session by foam rolling and stretching my legs.

Leg Press/Dumbbell Split Squat

We started off with a standard leg press/dumbbell split squat super set routine.  The super sets consisted of twelve repetitions (reps) of the leg press immediately followed by twelve reps of dumbbell split squats; twelve reps with the right foot forward then twelve reps with the left foot forward.  Each set had approximately 1-2 minute rests between them.  I had never incorporated a split squat into my routine.  I usually would do some type of walking dumbbell lunge.  I was curious and asked Debbie why she preferred the split squat over the alternating lunge.  She said my lunges were allowing too much rest time when I alternated the legs in the exercise.  The goal was to keep the muscle firing during the entire exercise to ensure maximal load on the muscle.  I could see her point and now have modified my own workouts, eliminating my alternating limb exercises all together.   I rarely did super sets w/ legs before either and now I actually like the super sets, since it intensifies the workout without adding more time to my usual two hour time frame.

Hack Squat/Swing Squat

Our second super set was a standard hack squat super set with the infamous swing squat machine.  This was the first time I had experienced the swing squat. She wanted to focus on my upper hamstrings and glutes.  In order to do that on the swing squat, my foot placement was more forward on the foot plate.  She had me perform deep squats, slightly tapping the bottom of the frame with each repetition.  I'm not really an emotional gal, but she nearly had me to tears w/ those deep swing squats - they were brutal!  We did the same routine as the first super set, three sets of twelve with 1-2 minute rests between sets. 

Box Jumps/Leg Extension

Our third super set was was box jumps/standard seated leg extension.  Debbie fine tuned my seated leg extensions making sure my feet were flexed during the entire movement (my shins were on fire).  This perfected my form to help ensure maximal firing of the quadriceps muscles with proper alignment and I now incorporate it into my own workout routines. 

Hamstring Curls/Dumbbell Sumo Squat/Back Extension

The fourth round of exercises included a circuit of standard lying hamstring curls, dumbbell sumo squats and barbell back extensions.  The lying hamstring curls were also in need of a little fine tuning.  She made sure me feet were flexed with the lying hamstring curls as well.  With the sumo squats Debbie had my toes positioned pointing in an outward angle to help emphasize engaging all the gluteal muscles, the piriformis, and upper hamstring region.  I never really varied my standing squats from the standard smith machine squat, so I was definitely challenged.  This exercise forced me to engage my core, maintain balance and proper alignment.  I did like how this exercise fired my upper glute region.  It had been years since I incorporated back extensions and I usually held a plate across my chest for added resistance. Unlike the standard barbell back extension, the barbell starting point was on the floor below my upper body.  Debbie had me pick up the barbell off the floor and perform the extension w/ my arms hanging straight and shoulders passively rotating, moving into an extended position with my back.  Lower back, glutes and upper hamstrings were all firing. 
I walked away from our leg session appreciating Debbie's great attention to detail.   She paid close attention to my performance, quickly prompting me on areas to concentrate on, ensuring I never deviated from the proper form.  I felt confident that she challenged me, without ever taking me outside of the boundaries of what was safe and appropriate for my skill level.  She built a plan that was customized to what my goals and expectations were. 

Cardio

To wrap up my training for the day, I completed by a 30 minute run on the treadmill after my session with Debbie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment