Thursday, June 7, 2012

Diana Pitts 2


My first day throwin' the weights around at Powerhouse with Debbie


I was excited to get in my first workout with Debbie.  

We started the workout with back stretches in the cage.  (I already had foam rolling and my basic stretches incorporated in my morning routine at home.)  She designed a high intensity workout incorporating super sets and circuit training.  This certainly made the most of our time together. 


During my orientation, it was discovered that my rear delts were underdeveloped, so she focused on back, pairing back exercises with rear delt moves.  Right off the bat, she challenged me with wide and narrow chin-ups.  UGH, I hated these.  I never did body-weight exercises and in fact, I avoided them.  I just felt it was out of my reach literally (the bar was too high to reach) and figuratively (it was beyond what I was capable of).  


She was kind though, she demonstrated the chin-up with an assistance band and modified the bar height by using the Smith Machine bar.  Chin-ups were followed by a circuit of wide rope pull-downs, bent over cable rows and dumbbell high bent over rows.  The second circuit was Hammer rows w/ a modified hand position, kneeling V-ups and single arm rows (working off the dumbbell rack).  

As I performed each exercise, she monitored my alignment and posture to ensure proper firing of the intended muscle, at the same time minimizing my chances for injury.  

My session wrapped up w/ a single exercise of Hammer high rows.    After our session was complete, I completed my own ab workout and cardio (running 3 miles on the treadmill). 

No comments:

Post a Comment