Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sara Brown



Before
I became Debbie’s client when I started training to compete in figure at Gateway Naturals in 2011. 

I was developing some muscle mass but I knew my upper body needed to increase in strength and size.  


Debbie pointed out my rounded shoulder orientation...


and explained that my back muscles were lagging behind progress in other areas of my body due to the fact that I didn’t have full range of motion through my back exercises.  Both my neck and traps were getting a better workout than my back.  I could live with the discomfort of neck and upper back soreness, but not seeing my back and shoulders grow was unacceptable to me.  I wanted to receive maximum benefit from my hard workouts.  We worked together to develop a plan to improve this not only for proper posing but for muscular development and my overall posture.   


We only had a few weeks before Gateway Naturals.  
At the show, I received many compliments but more than once the judges commented that my shoulders needed to be brought into correct alignment and I needed to develop width in my back.  Getting these comments from the judges was influential in my decision to continue training with Debbie. 


 I didn't want a single thing to slow my progress in muscle growth.


After
So I started to stretch out my chest and shoulders between exercises, rotating with a stick and performing a doorway stretch.  I also foam rolled my lats and mid to upper back and did wall slides daily. As I continued doing this on a consistent basis, my back muscles began to activate and grow.  I could feel them contracting with the movement and I could began to tell which muscles were working on each exercise.  My shoulders also became stronger.  This has been most evident on overhead press. 


It is a work in progress and as I increase flexibility through my shoulders and chest, my upper body has grown noticeably, neck tension has decreased, and I feel better overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment