Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Erin Dixon


PowerHouse Athlete:
A blog dedicated to bodybuilders & competitors - See their stories & transformations 


 “Alright Erin, It's time to pump!  
We're going to start with 10 lbs ascending to 12 lbs  then 15 lbs to get the blood pumping through those muscles!” Karen (my awesome backstage helper explains as she hands me db's)  So many nerves running through my dehydrated body as I stand there pumping db's half-naked in high heels, trying to dodge competitors in the small prep area that we had.  “Ok, Erin it's almost time for you to go on, so keep pumping until you have to line up.” says Karen as she and 3 other girls oil my body and apply lip gloss, while I'm trying my best to do bicep curls and side laterals!  Funny picture right? As I walk out onto the stage, I feel fine, thinking to myself “this isn't so bad, don't be nervous, I'm going to do great” but as soon as I line up with the other competitors for the judging, here comes the SHAKING!  What the heck?!  I couldn't even smile, my bottom lip was shaking so bad!  I felt as if my lips had a mind of their own and kept going into this partial Elvis lip curl, not to mention the shaking of the rest of my body!  The lights were so bright I could barely make out the judges faces and the sweat is beginning to build up, but I kept holding the poses and trying to get out that smile!  

So this is what everyone meant by the adrenaline going through your body for the first time on stage, haha! 

My first competition was October 13, 2012 at the Gateway Naturals in Arnold, MO.  This was one of the most rewarding accomplishments I have experienced with the help of my friend, manager, and trainer, Debbie Portell as well as my nutritionist Roger Semsch.  I first met Debbie in May 2012, at a meeting where she introduced herself as our new Personal Training Manager @ Rhino Fitness Gym in Wentzville, MO.  After shadowing her a few times and getting to know her more, I learned that she coached Figure Athletes.  Becoming a Figure Athlete has been a dream of mine for a few years now, so I definitely wanted to begin working with her. 

I began training with Debbie 1x/week and meeting with Roger for nutrition every other week for 20 weeks.  Debbie assessed my weaknesses and posture imbalances and gave me corrective exercises to do on a daily basis.  The great thing about working with her is that every time we worked together I learned something new to share with my own clients.  She also encouraged me to join her TEAM POWERHOUSE, this awesome team of girls who all compete as well.  Being on a team gives you the feeling of security because you know you can always have help and know that you are not alone in the whole experience.  Debbie Portell is amazing because she is 100% reliable, very knowledgeable, honest, hardworking and can fix almost any obstacle that stands in the way of a client's goals of becoming healthier.  She finds your weakness and strengthens it, which is what you need to accomplish goals.  You have to fix posture/muscle imbalances in order to train hard and get the most out of you workouts.  Debbie is very enthusiastic when it comes to reaching goals, no matter what the goal.  My first goal was to compete in the  Gateway Naturals in Arnold, MO and my next goal is to compete July, 2013.  I know she will push me to my limits to be the best I can be once again! 

Debbie Portell and Roger Semsch have changed my life....I went from having a degree in Nutrition and thinking I new everything about food from the knowledge I gained through professors and textbooks....to a person with all that background, plus all the experience with food and what actually works from the knowledge I gained through Debbie and Roger.  I am a stronger person physically and mentally and plan to continue working with the both of them. 

~Everything happens for a reason~

No comments:

Post a Comment