Friday, November 30, 2012

Amber McCourtney 10

Shew! I made it, I survived the show and even made it through the "off season" (as some would like to call it, as if there is such a thing). I'll be honest the time after a show is almost as taxing as the prep! And mentally I would dare to say it was harder. Very few people tell you about the aftermath of anything -childbirth, marriage, and yes competition too. LOL! The swelling that follows when you finally refuel your body is nice at first. You fill out keeping a lot of your leanness but it doesn't stop there. Soon you begin to smooth over and before you know it you look totally different than two weeks earlier. You've spent months all but obsessing over the leaning out of your body and in a matter of days you feel as though you have lost it all. I think I knew it was unrealistic to stay in peak condition all the time it's just not sensible or healthy for that matter but its difficult to keep it from getting to you.

I've been pretty fortunate however. I have some fantastic friends to at least try to convey this and I've come across some excellent sources to turn to both in and out of they gym. Just yesterday a pro natural figure competitor posted an off season photo on her Facebook showing that we can't be totally shredded 365 days a year. I was so happy to see that there is some degree of normalcy in the lives of even the professionals and that to some degree these things are normal. I've learned so much from this whole experience everything from pre show to post show I've learned that I'm always capable of more than I think, that it's the little things that end up mattering the most, and that slow and steady really does win the race. I can't wait to use my experience and new knowledge to do even better! Next on my to do list is the NPC Midwest St. Louis in March. I know with my coaches, mentors, friends and teammates at my side I can accomplish anything. I owe you all a huge thanks! Now let's get this goin! NPC here I come!
Happy training!
-Amber McCourtney

No comments:

Post a Comment